Monday, September 10, 2018

"Chelsea Girls" Review

Although Andy Warhol's "Chelsea Girls" (1966) could easily come off as boring to the regular, everyday viewer, I thought the film was full of many creative and interesting visual concepts. The positioning of the opening shot is personally one of my favorites; I think it captures the watcher's eye right from the beginning and it made me want to keep watching.
I love the fact that there are constantly two different shots playing at the same time throughout the movie. It looks even more visually appealing to me when one side is in color and the other is in black and white.
I will admit, however, that the film is slow. Very slow. Most, or even all, of the dialogue in the movie is improvised and that is evident when watching. I don't think Warhol had a clear story or message he was trying to convey by making this film. Instead, it was more of just him making a film simply because he wanted to make a film.

No comments:

Post a Comment